Indoojibwem!

Indoojibwem!

When I set out to look for learning materials on the web, I was initially excited to find so many search results for the language. This excitement quickly faded with the number of 404 - Not Found messages I kept getting on each click of a link. So I've created this space as a repository of resources for learning Anishinaabemowin, or more specifically, Ojibwemowin. With time, I hope it can be of use not just to me, but to others.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Stepping through a course - Lesson 27

This lesson is about introductions. I don't really know why Pimsleur waited until so late in the course to teach them. I personally think they should have been introduced way back when Giniw and Waabigwan met each other.

I've also included vocabulary and examples at the end of the lesson for work, both as a noun and as a verb.

Dialog -

M: Aaniish ezhinikaazoyan?
F: Waabigwan indizhinikaaz.
M: Giniw indizhinikaaz.
F: Awenen gidoodem?
M: Maang nindoodem.
F: Giigoonh nindoodem.
* * * * * * * * * * * *

Here's a breakdown, line by line:


M: Aaniish ezhinikaazoyan?

  • The new verb ezhinikaazo, be called is introduced here. He's asking "What is your name? (Literally, it's "What are you named/called?")
F: Waabigwan indizhinikaaz.
  • She answers "My name is/I am called Waabigwan."
M: Giniw indizhinikaaz.
  • He says "My name is/I am called Giniw/"
F: Awenen gidoodem?
  • Here, we use the question word "Who" because our next new word - doodem, meaning "clan", is based on the belief that a human being became a certain other being, or animal. She's asking "What clan do you belong to?" (Literally "Who is your clan?")
M: Maang nindoodem.
  • Maang means "loon", He answers "I am from the Loon clan."
F: Giigoonh nindoodem.
  • Giigoonh means "fish". She says "I am from the Fish clan."

New words this lesson:
  • awenen - who
  • doodem - clan
  • maang - loon
  • giigoonh - fish
  • izhinikaazo - be called, be named
  • bimose- walk

Other vocabulary:
  • anokii - work (verb)
  • Bi-anokiin. - Come and work. (Bi- introduced in Summary, Lessons 1-10)
    • Ningii-anokii dibikong. - I worked last night.
    • Ningii-gichi-anokii. - I worked hard/I worked a lot.
    • Nitaa-anokii. - He/She works frequently/often.
  • anokiiwin - work, job (noun)
  • maajaa - leave, depart (introduced in Lesson 14)
    • Nimaajaa nindanokiiwing. - I'm going to (my) work.
    • Ishkwaa-wiisiniyaan, niwii-majaa nindanokiiwing. - I'll go to work after I eat.

1 comment:

  1. I recently finished the Pimsleur Ojibwe course and was looking for a way to continue learning. I happened upon your blog and it is exactly what I need. Miigwech NEBOA for this work. I only wish it was in printed form as I don't have regular access to a computer.

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics