Indoojibwem!

Indoojibwem!

When I set out to look for learning materials on the web, I was initially excited to find so many search results for the language. This excitement quickly faded with the number of 404 - Not Found messages I kept getting on each click of a link. So I've created this space as a repository of resources for learning Anishinaabemowin, or more specifically, Ojibwemowin. With time, I hope it can be of use not just to me, but to others.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

For my first post...

I wanted to highlight a program that was originally aired on Twin Cities Public Television in November, 2010, called "First Speakers: Restoring the Ojibwe Language". The show follows educators' efforts to save the Ojibwe language and pass it on to the next generation. It can be viewed in its entirety here.



Here is an excerpt from the program page description:

"First Speakers takes viewers inside two Ojibwe immersion schools: Niigaane Ojibwemowin Immersion School on the Leech Lake Reservation near Bena, Minnesota and the Waadookodaading Ojibwe Language Immersion Charter School on the Lac Courte Oreilles Reservation near Hayward, Wisconsin. In both programs, students are taught their academic content from music to math entirely in the Ojibwe language and within the values and traditional practices of the Ojibwe culture. Unique to the schools is the collaboration between fluent speaking elders and the teachers who have learned Ojibwe as their second language."

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr. Henry,

    I recently started as well using the Pimsleur Ojibwe language course and I have learned to use so much of the language since starting - However upon finding your website, I am so appreciative of your efforts to write this all down for people like me who have the audio but not the written form and also for your improving on the course by entering new and more useful words and concepts to supplement the course as well. It's due to the efforts of people like you that this language will certainly survive and in fact thrive as I hope it does. I am so pleased with your method that I have book marked it and have come back to it many many times to make my learning curve so much easier. I certainly hope more and more Native Americans of not only the Ojibwe peoples but of the many other tribes realize that they are the only way that their languages and by extension their culture will survive in this modern world where languages are dying on earth at an alarming rate of one every fourteen days. I have been interested in Native American languages for my entire life and with the introduction of computers and the web have been able to come closer to learning many and I find that they are brilliantly interesting languages. Languages such as Navajo Mohawk Tsalagi and from South America Quechwa have fascinated me for years and for the first time I am able to actually hear and see them. Thank you Miigwich nebowa for your efforts and I hope to see more people learning this amazing language with your exceptional help sir.
    Sincerely yours, Dan Onzo

    P.S.(nofearlanguagelearning@gmail.com) my blog by the way although no where as good as yours is at BlogSpot and wordpress under the name Operadanio and is for helping people who are not experts at language learning pick up a better understanding of learing any language.

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics