Indoojibwem!

Indoojibwem!

When I set out to look for learning materials on the web, I was initially excited to find so many search results for the language. This excitement quickly faded with the number of 404 - Not Found messages I kept getting on each click of a link. So I've created this space as a repository of resources for learning Anishinaabemowin, or more specifically, Ojibwemowin. With time, I hope it can be of use not just to me, but to others.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Stepping through a course - Lesson 10

This lesson is a short one, as far as new vocabulary goes. Just a couple new words and no new verbs. The audio lesson features a lot of review of past lessons and vocabulary, though. In my next post, I'll put together a review of my own for the first third of the course. We're a third of the way through it!

Dialog - 

F: Niwii-wiisin iwidi Chi-waakaa'igan.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
F: Wegonen waa-minikweyan?
M: Nibi niwii-minikwen.
F: Nibi na giwii-minikwen?
M: Aniibiishaaboo na giwii-minikwen?


Breaking itt down line by line:

F: Niwii-wiisin iwidi Chi-waakaa'igan.

  • This new word, "waakaa-igan", means house or building. The "Chi-" preceding it is actually a shortened version of  "gichi", meaning great, large or big. "Chi-waakaa-igan" is the name of a restaurant. So she's saying "I want to eat there at "Chi-waakaa-igan".
* * * * * * * * * * * *

F: Wegonen waa-minikweyan?

  • As we learned in lesson 9, the "waa-[...]yan" form of the verb is the conjunct form, and has an object, in this case "wegonen" (what). So she is asking "What do you want to drink?
M: Nibi niwii-minikwen.
  • We have another new word - "nibi", meaning water. So he replies "I want to drink water. Note here, that the verb conjugation is in A-form. Minikwe is an example of a type of verb that can either take an object or not, and can use either verb form. This will be covered further in a later lesson and in my notes.
F: Nibi na giwii-minikwen?
  • "Do you want to drink water?"
M: Aniibiishaaboo na giwii-minikwen?
  • "Aniibiishaaboo" is another new word, meaning "tea". He's asking "Do you want to drink tea?

New words learning this lesson:

  • gichi- - large; big; much; very
  • waakaa'igan - building; house; cabin; fort
  • Chi-waakaa'igan - Big House;
  • nibi - water
  • aniibiishaaboo - tea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics